[mythtv-users] Internet Radio?

sylvain brejeon sylvain.brejeon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 09:52:55 UTC 2009

2009/11/5 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Per Jørgensen <myth at pbj-design.dk> wrote:
> > Ken Mandelberg skrev:
> >>
> >> Is there a plugin that can play internet radio stations?

> > Wrote my own  - look in the bottom of the page:
> > http://linux.pbj-design.dk/myth_extra.jsp
> >
> > Where I have noticed my way of doing this.
> >
> > Per J
>
> Is mythstream still current?
>
> Also mythsqueezebox should do it.

no plugin needed,
you can use the network recorder (formerly Freebox recorder
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FreeBox)
the only protocol supported is RTSP though, I think
so if your radios stream on HTTP, you need to setup a VOD server, with VLC
for instance, and trancode to Mpeg Transport Stream

you can then listen to radios in "Watch TV" and populate data in the "TV"
guide and schedule recordings
and pause/rewind "live" like you do with the TV.

minor downsides are that you have a black screen while listening because no
video obviously (but why not use the PIP and PBP features if you'd like to
see something).
and also you may miss metadata provided by the radio.

This is working very well. And, I haven't yet done it myself, but I think
you could setup a transcode job in Myth to get like a mp3 version of radio
recordings to upload on your portable player or whatever. That is what I
planning to do soon.

I am currently listening to today's recording of my favorite radio show
while being able to see live TV.