[mythtv-users] UK users: Interesting DLNA/UPnP 1080p-capable media player for 60

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Thu Nov 5 12:33:20 UTC 2009

Robert schreef:
> On Thu, November 5, 2009 11:09 am, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> Just noticed this on El Reg and thought I'd pass it along. Review
>> seems quite positive, and at 60 quite attractive:
>>
>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/05/review_media_player_hisense_1080p/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nick
>
> That looks pretty amazing for 60.
>
> If anyone has one - does it work with the MythTv UPnP server? (I've never
> had much success in that area)

Judging by the GUI screenshot, this is yet another device based on the
Realtek 128x chipset. Other similar devices are the Xtreamer, Asus
O!Play, A.C.Ryan PlayOn!HD.

Personally, I own the Xtreamer, connected to a 32" CRT. It does play all
MythTV recordings and all sorts of videos, photos, music, internet radio
etc. It does work with the MythTV UPNP server, although the initial
firmware had issues playing MP3 over UPNP (not related to MythTV).

However, I've mounted my media via NFS, which I find much easier. Not
sure if the device mentioned in the original e-mail supports NFS as well.

One minor issue which has not been resolved yet is that it does not deal
well with growing MPEG2 files (i.e. still recording files). Video and
sound start skipping. This does mean that I need to wait until a
recording is finished before I can view it.

Kind regards,

Mark