[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Nov 5 15:37:07 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> nospam312 wrote:
>>
>> You generally only install MythTV once.  If an option you want is not
>> enabled by default (or is disabled by default) just choose the best
>> option from the menu above and adjust your settings accordingly.
>>
> Ha HA HA Ha. OMG that hurt. "You only generally install MythTV once".
> Perhaps. Maybe. But, before you do that, you often have to install it
> any number of times to sort out motherboards, tuners, video cards,
> storage groups, permissions, remotes, SD/xmltv feeds, OS tweaks/bugs...
> the list is endless.
>
> Until you get it just so, and by that I mean what the wife considers
> "just so", it's usually necessary to spend a fair amount of time
> tweaking options you personally wouldn't have bothered with.
>
> You may have a point regarding a user new to Myth, but I suspect it's
> not going to work. For example, look at the way Ubuntu tries to set up a
> decent environment for Myth and then look at the posts we've had here
> over the last few months where the allegedly safe Ubuntu defaults don't
> work.

Hah! I laughed at the 'only once' bit too!

But the underlying point that maybe the settings could be handled by a
template is a good idea.
With a template there could be usable default setups for using Myth on a
TV (640x480) and on HD (1920x1080) with most of the settings optimized.
The vast majority of settings could then be set to a useful default.

Another idea posted recently was the 'context-sensitive' exit which
returns you to 'where you were' when you entered 'Settings'. This could
work easily with a template structure if the settings relevant to the
source page are grouped within the template.

Also a template structure could make better use of screen space. There
is no reason why the template could not show up to 50 settings lines on
a 1920x1080 screen and only 20 lines on a TV screen.

Geoff