[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

xavier hervy xavier.hervy at bluebottle.com
Fri Nov 6 12:18:45 UTC 2009

Johnny wrote:

> It seems to me that the whole idea of playback groups would be to
> handle stuff like this. However, the current playback groups
> implementation was only given a minimum set of options. This leads to
> a lot of confusion as demonstrated by the fact the there have been 2
> separate posts in the last two days about how to change the skip/jump
> times. These and one or two other settings are in playback groups.
> This is confusing because all of the other related settings like ffwd,
> commercial skip, etc are in the regular playback settings. So it just
> isn't intuitive why a few settings would be exclusively in a playback
> group while others are in the regular playback settings.
>
> It would be much more user friendly and intuitive if all of the
> playback settings were put in a default playback group, so the
> settings are all together in a logical organization. Then I could add
> additional playback groups where I could change any of the playback
> settings I want (aspect ratio, fill, time stretch, commercial
> skipping, playback profile, etc). There is already functionality to
> assign a playback group in my recording rules. So in the default case
> the user wouldn't even need to be aware of or look at playback groups,
> but others who want special settings for given recordings would have
> that available. All of this is already mostly implemented it just
> needs to go all the way.

+1
I wanted to set up a playback group to handle the 14/9 + stretch half I
like to do on some of my recording, to discover that playback group does
not support it.
Would be also nice if the playback group settings could be different
regarding the frontend. Depending if my frontend is in 16/9 or 4/3, I do
not change the aspect ratio + scretch the same way.

Xavier