[mythtv-users] Bones/Fringe fans -- run mythfilldatabase now !

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 6 22:29:06 UTC 2009

On 11/06/2009 04:31 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Just an FYI, this is why I have a 6PM cron job that runs with
>> --refresh-today.  It will catch alot of schedule changes like
>> sports, presidential addresses, and such.  A very good
>> suggestion for people to keep their schedules up to date.
>>
> I wrote:
>
>> I used to do this but removed it because I didn't know what would
>> happen if two mythfilldtabase jobs ran at the same time, since my
>> box runs it at whatever time SchedulesDirect suggests it should.
>>
> Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
>
>> If you're running mythfilldatabase in a cron job every day at
>> 6:00pm, why are you also running mythfilldatabase automatically at
>> the time suggested by the grabber?
>>

> Yet again, you jump on me out of the blue for no discernable reason[*]:
>
> 1) I'm not running mythfilldatabase at 6pm; I said I used to. As for
>    why . . .
> 2) "do this" refers to the --refresh-today flag (and reason; I also
>    used 6pm, actually, during the brief time I had the cron job set
>    up) that Kevin Kuphal mentioned.
>
> [*]
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/185090#185090 and
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/186001#186001, plus
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/224472#224472,
> being two of the more mystifying examples

It was a question.  It was not meant to blame anyone for anything, but
to get more information.  And, "you" was the generic, "whoever is or was
doing this."

My goal was only to make sure that anyone reading this thread had enough
information to set things up properly and efficiently as possible.
Basically, I didn't want a bunch of people just adding a 2nd run of mfdb
to a daily cron with only --refresh-today, but I figured there was more
to the configuration you and Kevin mentioned, so I was hoping to get the
rest of the story.

Mike