[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 20:35:39 UTC 2009

>> If anyone wants to experiment, try reducing the refresh rate of 70
>> times per second to something like 10 times per second.  Look for the
>> 2 statements "d->drawTimer->start(1000 / 70);" in mythmainwindow.cpp
>> and change the 70 to 10, then see how much it reduces the CPU usage
>> when idle.

I don't know if this would be considered a bug, but if this is the
cause then it is certainly a design issue that could use some
reconsideration. If only polling all of the objects in the current
screen is taking 15% of a modern CPU, even when no animation is
actually being done, then this is a poor design. I don't mean to be
critical of all of the great work that has gone into the new MythUI,
and I realize that there are probably other complexities that led to
this design decision. But this is a terrible waste of resources
especially when a machine may be sitting on the menu 90% of the day.

> So your guess is that it would be the change to mythui that increased the
> cpu usage for even a simple theme like mythcenter.

Mythcenter doesn't really exist anymore like it did in .21. They just
used the mythcenter background and main menu but everything else is
falling back to the new MythUI default theme.