[mythtv-users] Theming contest/image licensing question

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 21:32:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Governed by this license agreement:
>> Standard restrictions apply and float must be notified when using the photo
>> for any public work.
>>
>> where "float" is the author and the "standard restrictions" are here:
>>
>> http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2
>>
>> Everything reads "ok" to me, but I admittedly don't know what I'm looking
>> for...  what sorts of verbiage should I look for as a red flag?
>
> It will be easy to find images that *you* are free to use. The hang up
> in this case is are you free to distribute them. In this case the
> answer is no, unless you get permission from the artist. From your
> link:
>
> Always ask permission from the photographer if you want to use the Image
>    * In website templates that You intend to sell or distribute.
>
> Popular licenses for this type of purposes are the Creative Commons
> family of license. Flikr does a good job of helping you find works
> under these licenses: http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Johnny is spot on here-- sxc is not GPL compatible, but there are a
*very* few out there that are, and those are generally those that
release the images under the less restrictive CC licenses.

http://www.morguefile.com/

is one.  Please feel free to join us on the theming list if you need
further assistance.

Robert