[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:22:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for a new frontend system - something quiet, reasonably small,
> with a DVD drive and capable of playing 1080p/1080i H.264 AVC streams (e.g.
> BBC HD).
>
> The Intel Atom processors look interesting, but I've not been able to find
> much in the way of performance specs.  Does anyone know if any of the Atoms
> are remotely capable of playing HD H.264 AVC?
>
> My laptop (Core 2 Duo T5500 with Intel 945 graphics) seems reasonably happy
> playing the BBC HD stream, so I've been using this as a base line
> performance requirement.
>
> --
>
>  - Steve
>   xmpp:steve at nexusuk.org <xmpp%3Asteve at nexusuk.org>
> sip:steve at nexusuk.org <sip%3Asteve at nexusuk.org>   http://www.nexusuk.org/
>
>     Servatis a periculum, servatis a maleficum - Whisper, Evanescence

This new Atom/Ion ASUS works well as a frontend with an optical drive;

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/12161255/Asus-Eee-Box-EB1501-Intel-Atom-Dual-Core-330-1-6GHz-2GB-250GB-Windows-7-Premium-Nettop-White/Product.html

Virtually silent in operation & comes with desktop stand (as in picture) and
VESA mounting kit for attaching the unit to the rear of your TV or on the
wall behind.

All the best

Andrew