[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:44:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Richard Morton wrote:
>
>  In brief, yes; but make sure you buy a board with VDPAU supported
>> chipset like the Zotac boards otherwise the small Atom chips wont cope
>> with HD.
>>

> Hmm, ok.  That means getting an nVidia chipset though, and I swore off
> nVidia many years ago after getting bitten too many times by their crappy
> drivers and lack of giving a damn about my bug reports... :(
>
> I'm tempted to err towards a Core 2 based mini-ITX system, just for the
> safety of knowing I have enough CPU grunt without relying on crazy-ass
> proprietary drivers.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
>
>  - Steve
>   xmpp:steve at nexusuk.org <xmpp%3Asteve at nexusuk.org>
> sip:steve at nexusuk.org <sip%3Asteve at nexusuk.org>   http://www.nexusuk.org/

Well the Atom/Ion combo is a fantastic combination - low energy usage,
virtually silent in operation, compact and it with VDPAU enabled the
de-interlacer, picture quality is truly impressive. My family cannot tell
the HD picture quality from a Freesat HD box...and thats impressive in my
book :-)

The nVidia 185.xx drivers are very reliable in my experience and you really
will be missing out if you dont use an nVidia based GPU.

Andrew