[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:47:36 UTC 2009

Hi There,

Just to re-iterate; it is the GPU that is handling the HD content, not
the atom processor.
So yep, you would need a nVidia chipset that supports VDPAU.
nVidia has by far the best reputation from what I can tell in the Myth
community, even if their drivers are closed source.

Intel seems (again from what I can tell) second, Via third and ATI a
distant last.

Although I have heard some positive reports from ATI users recently...
not enough of them to start bumping them up my perceived rankings.

I reserached a lot before buying my components for a combined
front/backend and went for a nVidia 8500 chipset card a couple of
years ago. My secondary frontend was cobbled together from a bunch of
stuff I have lying around - Via SP13000 using XvMC. both work fine
with SD; although I have no HD tuners... yet.