[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Nov 8 12:07:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 11:51 +0000, Steve Hill wrote:
> This is what worries me - I've been caught out far too many times by
> buying hardware that _should_ do something, only to discover that it
> doesn't because of lack of driver support, buggy drivers or that
> support
> for the hardware gets dropped later on.  Quite a few of these
> instances
> were with nVidia hardware, so I'm really not that inclined to go
> back...
> :(

I have 7 systems, all nvidia graphics, with Linux. 3 of them are doing
VDPAU beautifully. None have a driver problem.

You *want* VDPAU for a frontend. Not only for HD decoding but as well
for the upscaling, denoising and deinterlacing, including, and I might
say especially, for SD content. I really felt like I had upgraded my TV
to a massively more expensive model when I switched from CPU-based to
GPU-based methods.

Plus, with NVIDIA, it is easy to force EDID files, for example, which
allows you to restart X with the TV is standby or OFF, and finding the
proper resolution when it comes back.

Go back.

Nico