[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Nov 8 13:15:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> Yes, so they're proprietary.. so what? They work, and they work well.

Admittedly I haven't used any new nVidia hardware (precisely because the
drivers were so bad back when I did buy nVidia hardware), but I had lots
of problems around the MX440/FX5200 era.  Things like it taking them about
2 years to even acknowledge the existence of the interlacing bug that
*everyone* who was running Linux nVidia HTPCs seemed to be complaining
about, random vSync related breakages which seemed to spontaneously work
in one driver release and then break in the next, the fact that it
consistently seemed to take them several months to support new releases of
Xorg or the kernel after an API change, etc.

Now, I haven't bought any new nVidia kit for years, so things may have
improved, but as you can imagine I am very wary of buying a system that is
absolutely dependent on nVidia's drivers, given the numerous problems I've
had with them in the past.

Conversely, I've used Intel hardware quite extensively, and I've been very
pleased with the transparency of their bug reporting process.  This has
nothing to do with whether the driver is open or closed and everything to
do with actually interacting with customers who are reporting bugs rather
than ignoring them.

--

  - Steve