[mythtv-users] Jamu error message

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 00:25:18 UTC 2009

>   I fully endorse your recommendation that users should add missing content
> to both TVDB and TMDB. Just so you know Jamu allows for user written scripts
> or scripts that are distributed with MythTV as ways to get
> additional/secondary information. I do not believe the distributed scripts
> violate any ToS considering they come with MythTV 0.22 (imdbpy.py and
> fetch_poster.py). If they do violate ToS they should be removed from the
> MythTV distribution.

I don't know the full story behind that stuff. I just remember a few
months back on the list. Someone said that the IMDB had asked that
their site not be scraped, and that was what prompted the move to tmdb
for .22 and deprecating imdb.pl. So I don't really know what the
official situation is in terms of the TOS. Also there was the
recognition of the advantages of having an open API and such that is
better for mythtv's purposes. Now it is just a matter of growing the
contributing user base to the point where themoviedb and thetvdb have
artwork and metadata for all the content. I fear that a lot of people
that use these resources don't realize that it is built from user
contributions and so their input is valuable to us all.