[mythtv-users] Adding HD-PVR in preparation for 0.22

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 9 01:28:28 UTC 2009

OK, so I bought an HD-PVR and I want to make sure its working outside of
Myth before I upgrade to 0.22.  I'm currently running the following on
Mythbuntu 9.04 x86_64:

hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/tmp$ mythbackend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 21768
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Network Protocol : 40
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Options compiled in:
 linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack using_backend
using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc
using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_glx_proc_addr_arb
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live

My Update Manager says that 9.10 is released and I wanted to get the
HD-PVR working before I upgrade.  I just hooked it up and tried to
capture from it (cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg) and got the following
when I try to play back the file:

Forced audio codec: mad
Opening audio decoder: [libdv] Raw DV Audio Decoder
Unknown/missing audio format -> no sound
ADecoder init failed :(
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
Cannot find codec 'dvaudio' in libavcodec...
ADecoder init failed :(
ADecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x56444152.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Any ideas/gotchas that I need to look out for in order to verify its
working before I take the plunge?  I have the Component Out from my
Comcast cable box to the Component in on the HD-PVR.  That's all I've
hooked up.  I didn't do anything with the outputs on the HD-PVR as I
didn't think it was necessary..

Thanks for any ideas.
Harry