[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Nov 9 11:31:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 06:47 +0000, Nicolas Will wrote:
> We
> spend quite a lot to get our systems built (even if we try to go the
> cheap way initially, we always manage to spend quite a lot, mostly
> because we went cheap at the start), and the VDPAU capability really is
> a drop in the ocean.

It's not when you can't buy video cards for the hardware you already
have (PCI/AGP).  And then you can't buy a motherboard that will work
with the existing CPU you have to get the PCI-E, so you have to buy a
new motherboard and new CPU and that memory you have won't work with the
new motherboard either, so by the time you are done just trying to get a
VDPAU video card, you've bought a whole new computer.  Again.

> It is a very small investment (money and time to
> make it work, it is plug and play) for a massive return.

Not at all small, unfortunately.

/me hates the computer hardware game, with their continuous, built-in
obsolescence games.

b.