[mythtv-users] digital audio driving me crazy

Per Olausson per.olauzzon at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 9 13:27:13 UTC 2009

Hi. I am running Mythtv on ubuntu (mythubuntu) after getting rid of my
previous setup based on gentoo (it was getting too demanding keeping up).

On gentoo I used to (I believe) have digital audio all up and running fine,
yet on this new setup I am scratching my head and becoming very frustrated.

I have followed the wiki, other guides here and there and everywhere but not
getting anywhere. I have 18 years experience on Unix/Linux so I know what I
am doing. I think.

Right. I cannot get digital audio playback working when watching something
live on TV. Everything else appears to work.

I get silence or cracks/squeaks. I have checked the board (DVB-C) and it is
capable of AC3. Is there some kind of magic required to ensure that when
recording or viewing something with AC3 the board is indeed getting the
right sound out?

I have played around with test.ac3 output and cannot get that to work
neither. So I am assuming that something is wrong with my ALSA setup, but
what I don't know. It is a nforce3 based board, I have an asoundrc file in
my home directory etc.

Does anyone have a minute/ideas or could point to a guide that certifiably
works? It would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Per