[mythtv-users] DB charset pre-conversion test failed! Your database seems to be partially corrupted.

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Nov 9 16:45:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 11:36 -0500, Tom Dexter wrote:

> If we're talking about tables that just happen to be missing from a
> database crash or whatever, what kind of warning could they give ahead
> of time?  "If your database is hosed the upgrade won't work"?  I'm not
> sure what you expect there.

How about "Database upgrade failed.  Table XYZ is missing." rather than
what it's doing now which essentially takes you down the mis-matched
character-set path which, has nothing to do with missing tables.

> I'm not sure what "wild goose chase" you're referring to.

The wild goose chase of attempting to fix a mis-matched character-set
"corruption" when that's not what the problem is.

> That
> database corruption issue due to connection default character sets is
> far from a wild goose chase.

It is a wild goose chase when "connection default character sets" has
got nothing to do with the actual failure.

> It's something that affects all Gentoo
> users like myself for one thing.

That's fair enough.  If that's what the problem really is.

> MythDVD has been gone for some time now hasn't it?

In 0.21?  If it "went away" during the 0.21 release cycle, nobody told
me.

> I'll compare it to mine when I get home.

Much appreciated.  Many thanx!

b.