[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 10 14:27:39 UTC 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 November 2009 02:56:26 Steve Hill wrote:
>> 3. Is there a serial port for me to hook an IR receiver to so I can
>> continue using my Sky Navigator remote?  The POV says "internal
>> COM", so
>> that should be ok, the Asus board doesn't appear to have any RS232
>> port
>> and I can't see anything saying whether the Revo has one (either
>> internally or externally).
>
> There are PCIExpress X1 serial port boards available, for when you
> find a mobo
> that's just right, with the exception of no serial port. The USB to
> Serial
> adapters can't be used with most IR blasters, I'm not sure if they
> can be
> used with IR receivers or not.

Anything driven by lirc_serial, transmit or receive alike, will not
work with a usb to serial adapter. The driver operates a too low a
hardware level to function with a usb thingy in between it and the
serial hardware. A pcie card could also be a problem if the serial
ports are mapped to io addresses and or irq other than the standard
com1/com2 ones, as lirc_serial has some nasty hard-coded limitations
along those lines.

Any remote that works with a serial receiver ought to work just as
well (if not better) with an mce usb transceiver. I highly recommend
one of those over trying to shoehorn an old serial receiver or
transmitter into a system w/o a serial port.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com