[mythtv-users] ION "LE" suitable for VDPAU ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 10 16:47:36 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 09:33:03 Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
> > Looks like it would make a great Myth FE box. Can anyone confirm that
> > HDMI audio out works? Without spdif, it becomes important. :) It looks
> > like there
>
> What is it that makes something "a great Myth FE box", as opposed to "
> greate Myth FE/BE box"?

A FE/BE machine will be doing all the recording, as well as commflagging and
transcodes, so it wants a little more CPU/RAM and probably better disk I/O
than a F/E only machine.

> I am asking, not having looked at the specs for this particular box at
> all, so there could be something quite obvious (such as, it's
> diskless) that makes my question moot.

This particular box is not diskless. A diskless F/E is possible, but not a
diskless B/E (not saying it couldn't be done, but I wouldn't do it).

> I am about to build a Myth box to replace my antiquated Series 2
> (analog) TiVo so that I can record OTA digital broadcasts.  If this
> box has enough room for a disk or two, wouldn't it make a great FE/BE
> box as well?  WOOT has supplied me with a USB tuner, so I don't need
> any slots.  Or am I missing something?

As long as you don't do a lot of transcoding and commflagging you are in a
hurry for, it would work as a F/E B/E combo. You probably want something that
can accomodate 2 disks, since you generally want your OS to be on a different
spindle from your database and recordings. You could net boot of course, and
do your OS/DB over the net.

Or, if you have an NAS server, you could record onto that of course. You could
also use a seperate DB machine. Lots of possibilities.

Many many possibilities, and no best answer for everyone.

The Revo units, which is hwat we are talking about here, are probably better
suited for F/E use then F/E-B/E combos or pure B/Es.

Small, quiet and capable of playing HD are the usual requirements for F/Es.
B/Es tend to be in closets or garages, and size and noise are not such big
considerations. Combo machines are generally compromises, and the best
solution will depend on oyur particular situation.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org