[mythtv-users] ION "LE" suitable for VDPAU ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 10 17:40:03 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 10:15:58 Greg Cope wrote:
> Greg
>
> (iPhone)
>
> On 10 Nov 2009, at 16:47, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 November 2009 09:33:03 Patrick Doyle wrote:
> >
> > The Revo units, which is hwat we are talking about here, are
> > probably better
> > suited for F/E use then F/E-B/E combos or pure B/Es.
> >
> > Small, quiet and capable of playing HD are the usual requirements
> > for F/Es.
> > B/Es tend to be in closets or garages, and size and noise are not
> > such big
> > considerations. Combo machines are generally compromises, and the best
> > solution will depend on oyur particular situation.
>
> I see no reason why my revo will not excell as a combo febe, not sure
> there are any compromises in it :-)
>
> However I do no transcoding/comflaging, as mentioned if that is
> important to you a revo might make you wait if you are in a hurry.
>
> Small, low power, cheap ... What is not to like?

The single laptop-type drive might have problems running the OS, the DB and
storing video.  if you store video elsewhere (network) and/or run the DB
elsewhere it would help.

I suspect trying to do everything on that one small drive would result in
unacceptable performance, but of course I've never tried that. Trying to
record an HD program and play back an HD program would be asking a lot of
that drive.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org