[mythtv-users] ION "LE" suitable for VDPAU ?

Paul pturpin+mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 17:52:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 November 2009 09:33:03 Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> What is it that makes something "a great Myth FE box", as opposed to "
>> greate Myth FE/BE box"?
>
> A FE/BE machine will be doing all the recording, as well as commflagging and
> transcodes, so it wants a little more CPU/RAM and probably better disk I/O
> than a F/E only machine.

I was just noticing that this box has a mini pci-express slot. This is
same slot that could fit one of those Crystal HD Broadcom chips, the
same ones that have been mentioned could be used for hardware decoding
in the appletv. Now i know hat ion already does this for display, but
from what i understand of how this chip works it actually passes back
the raw frames to the CPU. Wouldn't that mean that it could also be
used commercial flagging and transcoding? If that is truely the could
actually make a great combined BE/FE. Of course there is no support
for it yet, but i think i have heard it is in the works. Also you
would likely need to add some sort of esata drive.