[mythtv-users] mythrename.pl flogs my system if run during recordings.

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 22:56:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Don't use mythrename.pl to rename files (I'm assuming that's what you're
> doing).  It's dangerous, there are parts of myth that break if you do so,
> and creating links is infinitely more flexible, anyway.
>
> use:
>
> mythrename.pl --link

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response.  I am using the --link option, to create a
directory that lists all recordings, which is then shared via samba.

I think I found the problem.  I have been messing with cpufreq to
throttle back my server CPU when idle.  The default governor was
'ondemand' but for some reason, this would let my CPU (a Pentium D
3.0GHz) remain at 2.40GHz instead of stepping up to 3.0GHz, which
caused the extra load.

I ran mythrename while having the 'performance' governor active and it
seemed much better.

Many thanks for your help,
Whytey