[mythtv-users] disk full, can't delete files

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 19:37:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Rod Smith  wrote:
> On Monday 09 November 2009 11:27:18 pm David L wrote:
<snip>
 It seems I have a chicken/egg problem
>> here... mythfrontend isn't happy because the disk is
>> full and I can't make the disk less full without
>> running mythfrontend to delete files.  What's the right
>> way to work around this problem?
>
> Try deleting some non-program files, such as the preview files (.png files)
> and, if any are present, temporary transcode files (.tmp files). If your
> recording storage partition isn't separate from other partitions, you could
> also go through and try to find other temporary or unnecessary files to
> delete. Anything in /tmp is fair game, at least once you've shut down
> whatever programs created them. Rotated log files in the /var/log directory
> tree are also good choices for deletion. You could also try uninstalling
> software you're not using -- say, Firefox or Evolution (I've no idea if
> Mythbuntu installs either of these). You'd use dpkg, apt-get, Synaptic, or
> some other package management tool to do this. These measures might buy you
> just enough disk space to get the system working well enough that you can
> delete some recordings from within MythTV and set the minimum free space
> option that another poster mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  It seems clear
to me that I should re-partition.  I was using a single spare
partition to test out mythtv.  It makes sense in retrospect that
you'd want the OS and database separate from the program
files, but it wasn't obvious while I was installing.  I assumed
that there would be some default setting that would prevent
myth from coming too close to filling up the partition.  And I
didn't know I couldn't just delete a file.

Cheers,

           David