[mythtv-users] Way OT: Vizio VL370M VGA input doesn't seem to display 1920 pixels

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 01:58:20 UTC 2009

This is way off topic, but I can't imagine another group of people who
would know about this sort of issue than the folks that read this
list.  If you know of a more appropriate forum to ask the following
question, please feel free to direct me in that direction.

I just hooked my MacBook up to my HD (1080p capable) Vizio LCD
television via the VGA input port.  The display was configured
(automatically) for 1920x1080, yet when I looked up at the screen,
there were black bars on the left and right of a suspiciously 4:3
image.  I popped up the TV menu for the screen setting (strangely
called "Wide") I was given 2 options: "Normal" and "Stretch" (I
think).  In "Normal" mode, I got the black bars.  In "stretch" mode, I
was unable to see the close button on the far left of the display.

Any ideas why this might be so?  Is there something strange about
1920x1080 VGA mode for Vizio TVs?
Is there something strange about 1920x1080 mode for the output of a MacBook?

--wpd