[mythtv-users] ION "LE" suitable for VDPAU ?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Nov 11 03:51:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 November 2009 09:45:14 Travis Tabbal wrote:
>
> > I've since moved my backend onto a large server running in a VM. It's
> > working very well. My Frontends are now very overpowered with VDPAU
> > decoding the video.
>
> I take that to mean your capture devices are runing on a VM. Are you using
> any
> PCI tuners on the VM? I can see USB or network (HDHR) tuners working well
> on
> a VM, but I have doubts as to whether a PCI tuner would work or not.
>
> I have a large server with lots of excess capacity, if I could get PCI
> tuners
> to work in a VM (using Virtualbox right now), I'd consider moving my B/E to
> that.

No. I'm using an HDHR here, and if I upgraded I would add another one. I
doubt PCI tuners would work with VirtualBox, but you might be able to get
them working with Xen. They have PCI Passthrough in newer builds. You could
always have the VM host run the backend and move other tasks that don't need
direct I/O to VMs if you have any that would work well that way.