[mythtv-users] disk full, can't delete files

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 11 06:41:55 UTC 2009

On 11/11/2009 01:25 AM, David L wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2009 07:43 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>>
>>> What is the minimum free space set to out of the box? Can I suggest it
>>> be defaulted to something sensible (for our modern world of terabyte
>>> hard drives), perhaps 1-2GB?
>>>
>>> I have no idea where this would be set but if someone can point me in
>>> the right direction I'll be happy to supply a patch..
>>>
>> It's set to 1GiB by default, but depending on configuration, this may not be
>> enough extra space to allow Myth to react in time when the system has
>> multiple and/or high-bitrate recorders.

So, it turns out that the reserved space is handled by the functions
that return the filesystem usage information.  It basically shows up as
used space, so the reserved space isn't an issue, and 1GiB should be
good even with reserved space.

> <snip>
>
>> However, I don't think increasing the default is a good idea.
>>

> Perhaps during the installation, if the everything is on one
> partition, the default could be increased and a warning
> displayed... hey dumb ass; you should have used
> different partitions for your OS, your database, /var
> and your video directories, so we're going to reserve
> space on this partition to prevent system instability.
>
> I've learned my lesson, but I'm sure there will be several
> more people that will install everything on one partition and
> run into stability issues.  Just a suggestion.
>
> Thanks again to all...

Perhaps when the setup/settings stuff gets reworked when the UI is
ported to mythui, we can add more capabilities.  Right now, we're kind
of limited in the settings stuff.

Mike