[mythtv-users] ION "LE" suitable for VDPAU ?

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Wed Nov 11 09:20:40 UTC 2009

Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> writes:

> On Tuesday 10 November 2009 20:51:18 Travis Tabbal wrote:
>> >
>> > I take that to mean your capture devices are runing on a VM. Are you
>> > using any
>> > PCI tuners on the VM? I can see USB or network (HDHR) tuners working well
>> > on
>> > a VM, but I have doubts as to whether a PCI tuner would work or not.
>> >
>> > I have a large server with lots of excess capacity, if I could get PCI
>> > tuners
>> > to work in a VM (using Virtualbox right now), I'd consider moving my B/E
>> > to that.
>>
>> No. I'm using an HDHR here, and if I upgraded I would add another one. I
>> doubt PCI tuners would work with VirtualBox, but you might be able to get
>> them working with Xen. They have PCI Passthrough in newer builds. You could
>> always have the VM host run the backend and move other tasks that don't
>> need direct I/O to VMs if you have any that would work well that way.
>
> I thought abou Xen, but Xen requires CPUs with hardware vittualization, and
> this server is a pair of Opteron 275s, so that's not an option.

No, not if you only need to run Linux. I'm running my backend under Xen
with a Nova-T 500 pci card with no problems. While my CPU supports hw
virt, I'm not using it since it has higher overhead and, coincidentally,
doesn't support pci passthrough (or at least it didn't in Xen 3.0)

You can search the list for details....

/Jeppe