[mythtv-users] Any interest in html5's <video> tag in mythweb?

xavier hervy xavier.hervy at bluebottle.com
Wed Nov 11 09:52:45 UTC 2009

Ajay Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was thinking about replacing the flash player in mythweb with the
> new <video> element.  I searched the myth-users and -dev lists and
> didn't really see much about it other then, "it's not widely
> supported".  Which is understandable, but I think it should be an
> option at least.
>
> Last night I was messing around with ffmpeg2theora and was able to
> convert a couple of .nuv's into .ogv's and was able to display them in
> a browser.  It was surprisingly straightforward.
>
> So I'm thinking about making a patch to mythweb where if you have a
> supported browser, the right codec, and the actual .ogv file, then use
> the <video> tag, otherwise fallback to the flash methods.
>
> Just wondering if there's any interest in this as there are still a
> couple of issues.  I think the .flv conversion happens on-the-fly when
> you load up the video.  ffmpeg2theora is kinda slow and I'm not sure
> if it can happen in real-time.  Creating a user-job to run
> ffmpeg2theora on every video will solve this but then you're going to
> basically have a bunch of .ogv files lying around...   I figured I'd
> get the <video> tag to show up first and then worry about the
> long-term issues later.
>
> --Ajay

I suppose mythbackend should have something to handle conversion and
expiracy ...
I am using my n95 to play recording video from myth using the Video Center.
This require the video to be reencoded and it can not be done on the fly.
My script make sure the transcoded video is deleted if it does not exist
anymore in myth, but it would be nice if we add a program to do this one
for all.
Xavier