[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:00:57 UTC 2009

> This problem likely shows up only on lesser-powered frontends, so it
> might be useful to describe more frontend details.  My system is a
> diskless (NFS) Zotac IONITX-C (1.6 GHz single-core Atom), running 0.22
> trunk r22784, based on MythDora 10.21, kernel 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686,
> theme blue-abstract.  I see 3-5% CPU utilization when sitting on the
> main menu with TZ set.  I haven't seen issues with different screen
> resolutions.

I am only doing SD so my screen is at 800x600. I am running Mythbuntu
9.10, kernel 2.56.31-14-generic. It is a pretty new system. I have a
2.7 GHz AMD Kuma 7750. So it certainly isn't underpowered. With
cpufreq set to "performance" (ie no cpu scaling, powersave, etc),
mythfrontend sits at 14%-15% when idle sitting in a menu with no
animation or activity at all. Also when I am actually using the
frontend (e.g. navigating menus, etc) the CPU usage will often go
down, but it almost never goes above the usage I see at idle. So it
isn't a matter of underpowered CPU. Something is churning through CPU
cycles that shouldn't be. Also I have tried setting the TZ environment
variable and it had no effect.