[mythtv-users] StartEncoding failed

Chris Tepe cstepe at ctdataservices.com
Wed Nov 11 15:58:49 UTC 2009

Craig Isdahl wrote:
> Paul Bender wrote:
> I just switched from the ivtv package to the video4linux package and
> upgraded from MythTV 0.21 to MythTV 0.22. After doing so, my PVR-250's
> work with MythTV 0.22.
>
> The ivtv and video4linux packages are not compatible. Therefore, you
> need to be sure that you to remove ivtv before you install video4linux.
>
> Therefore, before installing video4linux-kmdl, unload all the ivtv and
> v4l related kernel modules. For me running the following was sufficient
> to remove them:
>
> modprobe -r ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner video
>
> In addition, before installing video4linux-kmdl, remove the all ivtv
> packages except ivtv-firmware? For me, running the following was
> sufficient to remove everything:
>
> yum remove `rpm -qa | grep ivtv | grep -v 'ivtv-firmware'`
>
> After doing that, you should be able to reload the ivtv driver using
>
> modprobe ivtv.
>
> Could you provide more details (i.e. step by step) on how you solved this?  I
> have a pvr-350 w/ the exact same problems and tried to to follow your steps
> above but was unsuccessful.  Everything that I use is working great on 0.22
> except I can't record (or watch LiveTV).  Thanks for any additional info you
> can provide.
>
> Craig

Craig,

Here is what I had to do to get it working

service mythbackend stop

modprobe -r ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner video

yum remove `rpm -qa | grep ivtv | grep -v 'ivtv-firmware'`

yum install video4linux video4linux-devel video4linux-kmdl (This stated
that a version did not exist for my kernel)

yum upgrade kernel

yum install video4linux video4linux-devel video4linux-kmdl

reboot to load new kernel

If you didn't have to update your kernel the  modprobe ivtv command
should get you working.

Chris