[mythtv-users] How to avoid upgrade headaches

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Nov 11 16:50:50 UTC 2009

> I don't really have an answer for you, but I am curious what was
> required by MythTV that you needed to upgrade base Ubuntu? My backend
> is running Fedora Core 8 with current SVN manually compiled, and I
> have not had any issues that have required an OS upgrade. Obviously I
> haven't needed to upgrade the OS, since it is a few years old already,
> and almost 4 versions behind current. My frontends run FC10 quite
> happily. I was a big Ubuntu fan, but I've found that for MythTV,
> Fedora (at least for my setup) seems to just 'work', whereas Ubuntu
> always gave me problems. Again, only my experience, I know lots of
> people use Ubuntu for MythTV without any issues.
>
> Tom

Well, the 0.22 version was not in the repository for Ubuntu 8.10 which
is what I used. So I had to upgrade to 9.04, and then to 9.10 in order
to get the new version.

I suppose I could build it myself, but then I'd have to build a lot of
the dependencies that myth needs that are probably not included in
anything before 9.10. I'm hoping to not have to build mythtv from source
if possible just to make sure I get all the dependency stuff right.
Also, I've learned not to put an new ubuntu repository into an old
version of ubuntu...that really messes things up.

-Steve