[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Nov 11 20:50:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 11:24:48PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> I do agree more playback controls could move into Playback Groups.
> Patches welcome.  The current implemention was a starting point, we're
> normally open to enhancements. :)

I suppose I should jump into this thread.

The playback group API was inentionally made extensible so other settings
could eventually be added.  The DB schema, however, is not very
scalable at all and would have to be redone if a lot of settings are
added.  The reason is I never expected, and still don't intend, for
playback groups to become the home for any and every playback related
setting.  I feel playback groups should remain limited to a fairly
small number of settings that can't be handled better in other ways.

Now, I must admit that having a handful of playback settings separated
from other related settings just because they are playback group
settings is confusing.  I think that could be remedied by adding those
settings back in the normal place, and having them automatically tied
to the Default playback group.

David
--
David Engel