[mythtv-users] MythTV, Fedora 11, RPMfusion

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 11 21:49:20 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 12:08:34 Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2009, at 1:57 PM, stan wrote:
> > The latest Fedora 11 update to the kernel and ffmpeg finally got the
> > display
> > working on my Intel DG45FC mobo onboard graphics and Hauppauge HVR
> > 950Q USB
> > tuner.  (Well, at least for a five minute review of a recorded HD OTA
> > program.)
> >
> > So now I'm interesting in trying the new mythtv .22.  I plan to
> > completely
> > reinstall the system and get the new mythTV.
> >
> > So I figure I may as well see if there are answers to a few question
> > I've
> > always left hanging..
> >
> > 1.  Is mythTV .22 on RPMfusion?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2.  When you install mythTV from RPMfusion with gnome's add/remove
> > programs
> > should you first create a mythtv user?  I've installed without
> > creating the
> > mythtv user and found the install creates mythtv but I can't log
> > into it.
>
> Don't need to. The user the package creates isn't intended as a login
> user, its a file ownership user, and someday, when possible, a "run
> the backend as this user" user[*].
>
> > 3.  Is the mySQL database initialized by the mythTV RPMfusion
> > install?  I've
> > been running the script to do this, but I've read messages implying
> > the
> > script is no longer necessary.
>
> The rpm's themselves do nothing to initialize the database.
>
> > 4.  Does Fedora's "check for updates" function include packages (like
> > mythTV) installed from RPMfusion?
>
> If you have the RPM Fusion yum repos enabed, yes.
>
> > 5.  Does mythfilldatabase do anything when all program guide sources
> > are
> > obtained from ATSC over-the-air information?
>
> No.
>
> > BTW, the RPMfusion and "add/remove program" stuff sure makes mythTV
> > easy to
> > install.
>
> That would be PackageKit, a distribution and packaging system agnostic
> add/remove program, developed primarily by Richard Hughes (who does
> happen to be a Red Hat employee, working on it for Fedora though).

Please pass along to him that PackagerKit drives me crazy. If I select a lot
of packages to install, and it barfs on one of them due to a missing
dependency, I have to go back and re-select everything I want to install all
over again. It's bad enough to have caused me to stop using PK (No, not the
old Zip program, named for Phil Katz I believe).

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org