[mythtv-users] How to avoid upgrade headaches

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 02:13:51 UTC 2009

> So I was wondering, what do you guys do to avoid this constant "upgrading"
> problem.

I used to be a Fedora man, but went to CentOS to stop the upgrade
merry-go-round. CentOS releases are guaranteed a few years before
being end-of-lifed, whereas Fedora releases seem to be a lot shorter.
Also, Axel Thimm maintains a fantastic MythTV repos for CentOS 5.x.

But there can be problems getting packages for CentOS - some examples
discussed recently on the ATrpms mailing list were Jamu, some new
metadata scrapers, hulu desktop and miro. If you don't want anything
outside of core MythTV, CentOD may be perfect for you, but if you're
likely to want other stuff it could be a problem.