[mythtv-users] How to avoid upgrade headaches

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Nov 12 02:59:27 UTC 2009

On 11/11/2009 09:13 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>> So I was wondering, what do you guys do to avoid this constant "upgrading"
>> problem.
>
> I used to be a Fedora man, but went to CentOS to stop the upgrade
> merry-go-round. CentOS releases are guaranteed a few years before
> being end-of-lifed,

I forget if its seven years or nine years now. At least seven though.
Five years of active updates, new hardware enablement, new features,
etc., then two to four years of maintenance mode. Or something like
that. I just work here.

> whereas Fedora releases seem to be a lot shorter.

Not seem to be. They are. Each release N goes end-of-life approximately
one month after release N+2 is out, with new releases roughly every six
months, so 13 months is the typical lifespan of a given Fedora release.

> Also, Axel Thimm maintains a fantastic MythTV repos for CentOS 5.x.

No, Axel maintains a Red Hat Enterprise Linux and compatible rebuild
clones repo with a huge array of packages, among which are MythTV
packages. :)

(See http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/ , where it says "Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 5").

> But there can be problems getting packages for CentOS - some examples
> discussed recently on the ATrpms mailing list were Jamu, some new
> metadata scrapers, hulu desktop and miro. If you don't want anything
> outside of core MythTV, CentOD may be perfect for you, but if you're
> likely to want other stuff it could be a problem.

Yep, RHEL5 was released almost three years ago now, which is an eternity
for a Linux distribution. Loads of fun trying to shoehorn the latest and
greatest of anything onto RHEL5. Have done more than my fair share of
that for work-related purposes. Among other things, the Fedora build
system is currently all RHEL5 systems, but building recent Fedora
packages requires a version of rpm supporting sha1 signatures and xz
compressed payload support... And its only gonna keep getting more
complicated. At least, until RHEL6 is out and everyone moves to that,
and the cycle starts all over again. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com