[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

tortise at paradise.net.nz tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Nov 12 03:55:55 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 17:57 -0500, Dale Pontius wrote:

> I've got a CRT also, and was quite vocally complaining about here, a
> month or so back.  I used the Setup option to resize the UI, but that
> has a bad side-effect, namely that it's also resizing the TV that you're
> trying to play.

Well, if by "TV that you are trying to play" you mean the content
playback, you can actually separate the size of the UI from the playback
size in the Playback setup menu.  That I do to maintain the correct
overscanning of the content playback regardless of what myth is doing
with the UI.

> Worse yet, it's a near-fit resizing, and sometimes
> those look worse.

Indeed.  Exactly my point too.  But I'm only complaining about the UI
due to the ability to decouple the playback size from the UI size per
the above.

> Then nVidia finally added the overscan adjustment back in for my 8400GS
> card, so now I'm happy.  I'm still fiddling with the overscan a bit,
> trying to figure out what just-right should be.

Right.  But rather than just doing "full overscan" so that what you see
being played back on your nvidia card exactly matches what you'd see
with live TV, you are trying to find some "happy medium" where happy
medium is not being equal to "as if you were watching on TV".

> Of course with your 5200 this doesn't apply, since you're on legacy
> drivers.

I am on the 96 drivers, but I still get that overscan that
nvidia-settings can do.

> I'd start there, then look into fiddling with the Myth UI.

Well, I have the overscan in the nvidia settings set perfectly, so that
playback looks exactly like it would direct from cable to my TV.

It's getting the UI to fit inside the visible area *without* reducing
the size of the UI canvas that is the problem here.