[mythtv-users] Hopefully the last Revo Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Nov 12 04:38:07 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 20:52:33 Johnny wrote:
> >> I've read that if you decline the license and make enough noise you can
> >> get a pittance back. Guess I'll try it. It's not so much I want the
> >> money back, I just want vendors to know that some people at least do not
> >> appreciate being forced to pay the Microsoft Tax.
> >
> > Its good that there are people like you who have both the time and
> > inclination to do that!

Time + Inclination = Orneriness :-)

> Yes, I recall the key is there is some language in the EULA indicating
> that if don't agree to the license then you can get a refund for your
> unused copy.

Yes, but of course they don't make it easy, and I think you only wind up
getting between 7 and 15 dollars.

I wonder who actually pays, Microsoft or the equipment maker or the final
seller. I suspect the manufacturers pay a flat amout per machine they
pre-install Windows on, and any refunds come out of their pockets. I'd guess
the actual deals are secret (and possibly illegal).

The money will never motivate them to stop pre-installing, but the
administrative costs might if the numbers got high enough.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org