[mythtv-users] hdpvr cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error

David Sperling ds at hakodateit.com
Thu Nov 12 11:19:51 UTC 2009

Hi-

I did the following setup for my new hdpvr but am getting an Input/ouput
error message in the console and
no video when I cat /dev/video0

* added the hdpvr module to the kernel 2.6.30-gentoo-r8
* updated the hdpvr firmware in windows confirmed that I could record video
* connected the new hdpvr to my new nvidia ion motherboard
* confirmed that a new device was added in dmesg:
*    hdpvr 1-3:1.0: untested firmware version 0x12, the driver might not
work
*    hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device now attached to /dev/video0
* confirmed that v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 -l connects to the hdpvr
* connected s-video, composite, s-video, analog audio from DVD player to
hdpvr, pressed play on DVD

Then I did cat /dev/video0 > test.ts which results in:

cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error

My lsmod result is:
Module                  Size  Used by
hdpvr                  18424  0
nvidia               7220220  28
v4l2_common            11956  1 hdpvr
videodev               28940  2 hdpvr,v4l2_common
v4l1_compat            11472  1 videodev

I'm thinking maybe I'm missing some modules?  Any tips on how  to debug
this would be great.

Cheers,