[mythtv-users] Dell Zino HD as FE/BE

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:12:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe the $1.25 Billion they will get from Intel will allow a few more
> pennies
> > for the R&D budget:
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/technology/companies/13chip.html?_r=1&hp
>
> That will look good on their balance sheets. Unfortunately I don't
> think it is an R&D problem. ATI is actually outperforming nvidia in
> RAW GPU power right now. And they even opened up the specs for open
> source developers to create drivers for their cards. It is just my
> opinion but I would assume by open sourcing the specs they in some
> sense washed there hands of the Linux driver development, and hope
> that the community will compensate. Unfortunately the community hasn't
> been able to keep up with what nvidia is doing with their proprietary
> drivers.

I don't remember the article I read or if it was just a rant by someone but
it made a good point that open source specs will probably never match the
abilities of closed source drivers like NVIDIA.  Open source drivers can't
implement the specifications fast enough because the next gen of chips come
fast and furious.  We're far better off as users (open source issues not
withstanding) with NVIDIA's method of providing us feature full drivers.

Kevin