[mythtv-users] Mythmusic stutters with audio cds

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 12 20:03:14 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 10:28 AM, Frank Ahrens wrote:
> i have got a problem which i can't find solved in all discussions
> available through google.
> All my mythtv usage is nearly perfect. The only item i can't solve, ist
> playing music directly from cd with mythmusic.
> 1.) the drive led lights up (drive access)
> 2.) the sound stutters
> 3.) drive access stops
> 4.) sound will be perfect for ~10sec and
> 5.) back to 1)
> In my mythbackend.log i can see  many buffer underruns.
> The sound is ok with other players such as xine or kscd.
> In this cases the drive led is nearly on all the time or in much shorter
> times.
>
> I have got the problem on my mythbuntu systems (8.10 with MythTV 0.21
> and 9.10 with MythTV 0.22) on my HTPC
> and on my Notebook with OpenSUSE 11.1 with MythTV 0.21.
>
> It seems, that mythmusic first sucks all data out of the buffer before
> reading new data from drive.
>
> I think many user must have this problem, because it's on all my
> installations.
>
> Could someone help me to solve it?

Rip the CD to the hard drive (assuming doing so is legal in your area of
the world)?

There have been many reports of this issue with CD's and DVD's
(affecting video and audio) read from the drives, but no one has
debugged it or submitted any patches or fixes.  So, option 2 would be to
debug it and submit a patch.  :)

Mike