[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase fails with xmltv error since 0.22 upgrade, but works when run manually

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Fri Nov 13 13:45:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

Since upgrading to 0.22 my automated mythfilldatabase run hasn't worked.
If I login as the user mythtv runs as and run it manually then it works
fine.

In the mythfilldatabase log for an automated run, the errors are:

2009-11-13 05:10:51.655 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host:
localhost
Using old-style config file
config file /var/run/mythtv/.mythtv/DVB-S.xmltv does not exist, run me
with --configure
2009-11-13 05:10:52.267 FillData, Error: xmltv returned error code 512
2009-11-13 05:10:52.268 Error in 1:1: unexpected end of file

So clearly it isn't finding it's config file, mainly because
/var/run/mythtv/.mythtv/DVB-S.xmltv doesn't exist.

Mine lives in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/DVB-S.xmltv and always has, and it
finds this one during a manual run.

So the question is, how can I tell it to use the config file in it's home
dir?  I can't find this setting anywhere in my config files, or in the
Myth setup screens.  It all worked with 0.21...!

Any pointers welcomed.
(and yes I know I could just symlink the file, but that's clearly not the
right fix!)

I'm running mythtv-0.22-22772 on Gentoo using MarcT's ebuilds from
git://github.com/MarcT/mt-mythtv.git

Oh, I've just worked out what the problem is, but I'm still not sure what
the correct fix is - in the initscript for mythbackend it clobbers the
HOME environment variable and sets it to /var/run/mythtv...

This seems wrong....  Any thoughts as to why it might be doing this?

Thanks,
Robert.