[mythtv-users] vdpau worth it for hdtv?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Nov 13 17:19:34 UTC 2009

On 13 Nov 2009, at 16:07, Kevin Johnson wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I understand how vdpau reduces cpu usage and that it will allow playing h.264 videos and such.
> However, I am wondering if there is any real advantage to "upgrading" if all you do is watch ota hdtv and xvid movies?  Will vdpau actually improve the picture quality?

In my experience, yes, massive improvement.

Before VDPAU I wasn't happy to use mythfrontend to watch TV, SD or HD, quality wasn't good enough. When the remaining gremlins are gone (which might be now looking at the update I got yesterday) and I've managed to calibrate my frontend video output I'll be using it.

> Will using a playback profile that utilizes vdpau produce a better picture than the same playback profile that does not use vdpau?

If your card is up to it then most certainly, I'm finding that you need a good bit of headroom in the VDPAU capability to achieve fluid video but when you do it's great. I have a couple of VDPAU capable cards and have tried/ borrowed another 9 or 10 cards to see what's needed to make it all run smoothly, also have a couple of 7000 series Nvidia cards which worked passably for HD with a decent core 2 duo or quad. My HDTV is mostly BBC HD but some HD Suisse, CBS, WGBH and some 35 to 140Mb/s 720p and 1080p for work.

IMHO the ION is not doing VDPAU & MythTV any favours as it's not powerful enough to make MythTV HDTV look as it should, maybe I should duck at this point..... ;-)

Andre