[mythtv-users] Low power FE/BE CPU

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 21:52:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My current master backend is a 65W Core 2 Duo processor on a
>> motherboard with integrated nVidia 9400 graphics.  I used to use it as
>> a diskless frontend.  At idle, the entire system drew 35W.  As a
>> master backend, I allow it to run 3 simultaneous jobs, and it keeps up
>> just fine.  You could use this as a reference point in your
>> calculations.
>
> Poking around on Newegg, I see only one (uATX) motherboard with nVidia
> 9400, a DFI LP JR GF9400-T2RS.  Would that be the one you are using?

My motherboard is actually a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, which I bought
this past April and don't see on Newegg any more.  The DFI doesn't
have firewire or eSATA, in case that's a concern.  For some reason,
the Intel/vNidia motherboards are far more expensive than the
AMD/nVidia motherboards.

> Poking around on the wiki, I see that the 9400 only supports "Advanced
> (2x) Deinterlacing" for SD, not for HD.  Has this been an issue for
> you?

For 1080i, I am actually stuck using the Bob deinterlacer because,
unless this has changed recently, it is the only deinterlacer that
reasonably handles the tendency of NBC (and maybe other networks) to
mix progressive and interlaced frames.  The "better" deinterlacers
give jumpy video.  I use Advanced 2x for SD, though.  Honestly, on my
1366x768 TV, I don't see much of a difference between the
deinterlacers on 1080i content.

Jim