[mythtv-users] Slashdot Review of Internet TV Announcements - Any MythTV Integration?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 14 02:03:38 UTC 2009

On 11/13/2009 08:27 PM, Mache Creeger wrote:
> "A flurry of announcements from YouTube, Boxee, Dell and Clicker on
> Thursday brought good news for anyone considering canceling their
> cable service in favor of internet TV. First, YouTube announced that
> within the next few days it will start offering full 1080P HD streams;
> better than your cable company can offer.

OK, I realize you were quoting the itworld article (
http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/84657/time-ditch-your-cable-company-new-internet-tv-services-announced
), but would /anyone/ consider YouTube a replacement for Cable TV?

The rest of the YouTube stuff:
---
First, let's talk about YouTube. Yesterday they announced that they'll
start offering full 1080P HD streams; better than your cable company can
offer. This new option will be available within the next few days.
YouTube says it stores all content in its native resolution, so any
1080P content that has been uploaded to the service in the past will
only need to be re-encoded (by YouTube) in order to be available in its
high-def glory. For more details, check out CNET's story.
--

So, now I can watch Dancing Baby in 1080p, then watch Star Wars Kid in
1080p, then watch Keyboard Cat in 1080p.  How is that the same as Cable TV?

Not even mentioning the whole, "Better than your cable company can
offer," wrongness.

Mike