[mythtv-users] Jumping frames while editing

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Nov 14 10:02:34 UTC 2009

John Pilkington wrote:
>> Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>>> When I edit a recording to set cut points, there is some odd behavior
>>> when skipping backward or forward by N seconds.  Instead of skipping
>>> immediately to the desired frame, often it jumps through several
>>> frames until it converges on the desired frame.  For ATSC recordings
>>> (mpeg2), there might be a couple of these intermediate frames.  For
>>> HD-PVR recordings (h.264), there could be up to 6 or 7.
>>>
>>> I understand that this is how seeking works -- find the closest
>>> keyframe and then advance frame by frame until the exact frame is
>>> found.  But is there something I can do to keep these intermediate
>>> frames from being displayed to the screen?
>>>
>>> This has been the case in 0.21 and 0.22, for many versions of the
>>> nvidia driver through my current version (190.42).  I see this with
>>> the VDPAU profile and the Slim profile.  I tried setting and unsetting
>>> the "Seek to exact frame" setting, with no difference.  The hardware
>>> is a diskless single-core IONITX box.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> I'm seeing something very like this on my box running 0.22-fixes from
>> ATrpms under CentOS 5.4, but not with the corresponding build on
>> 64-bit fc10.  The CentOS box didn't do this in 0.21-fixes.  Recordings
>> are from dvb.  Both use nvidia, neither uses VDPAU. Drivers are
>> 96.43.13, 190.42.  I'll do more experiments, but suggestions would be
>> welcome.
>

> What I'm seeing looks as if it may be
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7523
>
> although my first attempts at tweaking nvidia haven't entirely restored
> normal operation.
>
> Thanks to Mike Dean for pointing to this in

>> While on the subject of the editor:  I've often wondered why the time
>> counter isn't linked directly to the image I see; there's usually a
>> one-step hysteresis  - i.e. an offset depending on the recent
>> direction of stepping.  It works, but it feels correctable.  I haven't
>> identified a ticket, or tried looking at the code :-(
>>
>> John P

I had been seeing the second effect above for months, if not years.
After a few random changes to the frontend playback profiles it's
working as expected on both CentOS and F10 boxes.  I'm wondering if, as
Yeechang Lee reported some time ago for the multirec settings, it only
works properly if the 'out-of-the-box' settings are confirmed by going
through the menu?

John P