[mythtv-users] imdbpy.py error

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 14 19:00:42 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 Nov 2009 03:55:15 Doug Vaughan wrote:
> Mark,
>     I am a little surprised that your wrapper script crashed jamu as the
> imdb.py was crashing with out aborting jamu. Did you figure out what has
> caused imdb.py to abort or have you created a substitute for imdb.py? Is
> your wrapper outputing text to stdout if it has problems? Jamu is only
> expecting key value pairs from stdout while any error text should be
> sent to stderr.
>
>  From the little I gleamed from the imdb.py abort messages it seems that
> the metadata it gets from IMDB is different then what used to be
> returned. Basically a list rather than a string. I suspect if imdb.py
> was change to appreciate this format change it would work again. See:
> "TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, list found"
>
> imdb.py option -M still works but -D (text metadata) and -P URLs for
> movie posters both fail. I thought that -P option was broken a while ago
> due to IMDB TOS about image downloads. But I could be wrong.
>
> To test just run imdb.py from the command line rather than involve jamu.

Thanks Doug, I got there in the end - I was dumping everything to stdout :)

What I had created initially was a wrapper around the imdb-get command-line tool, but that tool wasn't up to much. So I've nearly finished a combined tmdb/imdb lookup script in perl, which is currently working nicely as a metadata grabber for mythvideo. Just need to try it with jamu and see how it goes. I can post it here if anyone else is interested, although it's based heavily on tmdb.pl and I don't want to tread on anyone's toes.

Interestingly, if something has changed on the IMDB to break imdb.py, it hasn't affected the perl-imdb module that I installed today and am now using in my script. -M, -D, and -P are all working for me. Perl rules ;-)

Mark