[mythtv-users] desktop environment efficiencies.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 14 21:17:37 UTC 2009

On 11/14/2009 04:10 PM, Johnny wrote:
>> I agree that a Desktop Environment is a waste.  And--though I'm guessing on
>> this--I /think/ that with any of the major Myth distros, you can configure
>> them to show the Desktop Manager (i.e. GDM or KDM) on bootup rather than
>> automatically logging in, then you can select a Window Manager
>> (FluxBox/RatPoison/twm/fcwm...) or Desktop Environment (GNOME/KDE/XFCE) for
>> your X session--depending on how you plan to use the system during that
>> session.
>>
>> It's not exactly what you want--but it's not too far from it (and only
>> requires logout/login to switch).
>>
> I know that with GDM when you change your session it prompts you to
> see if you want to use that session as default. So it is easy to
> change your default session to whatever window manager or desktop you
> want.
>
> This is my personal opinion, but I think a lot of folks worry about
> this stuff out of habits from the past rather than any real benefit to
> the user experience, power, etc. Xfce or even Gnome are going to use
> somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-100 MB. On a system that is just
> running mythtv and has a 1 - 2 GB of RAM this really isn't an issue. I
> know there are still lots of people on older hardware with < 512 MB or
> RAM. But at some point you have to wonder is this worth the hassle or
> is my time better used by spending $15 on a stick of RAM and enjoying
> the convenience of a modern desktop. I have a combined FE/BE and I
> have been thinking about switching from Xfce back to Gnome just so
> things are cleaner and nicer looking when I am occasionally doing
> stuff outside of myth. I have 2 GB of memory and I just don't think it
> is going to have any impact on my user experience inside of mythtv. If
> you are someone that likes to tweak things to get a minimalist setup,
> then more power to you. But for the average user on a modern system it
> going to be easiest to just stick with the default setup.

Very good points--it's not 1999, anymore.  And thanks for the follow-up
on my desktop manager guesses.

One additional point, though--some Window Managers used by Desktop
Environments may impact Myth usage.  (Where "some" is read as
"Compiz"--its use of OpenGL may cause issues with OpenGL/VDPAU/... in
Myth. ;)  But note that you should be able to change the Window Manager
used within the Desktop Environment.  If you don't see issues with it,
using such a Window Manager is not a problem, but if you do, try
switching Window Managers (even within the Desktop Environment).

Mike