[mythtv-users] Graphics card recommendation needed (regarding tv-out quality)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:27:21 UTC 2009

> Best bet is to get something NVidia based that supports VDPAU....

I switched from a 5200 to a 8400 GS for my SD setup  so I could use
VDPAU. The picture quality is much much better with VDPAU. Even though
it is going to an interlaced display I use the VDPAU Advanced 2x
deinterlacer and it is the best picture I have seen on my TV, even
better than straight from the cable. You will need to look at the
8xxx, 9xxx, or 2xx cards. For SD you can find an 8400 GS that would be
fine. If you want to be safe and future proof a little you are better
off getting a 9500 or 220 because they will support the best
deinterlacers with HD. See the wiki: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU.
The driver support just isn't there yet with ATI, and Intel integrated
graphics just doesn't have the same level of hardware. So you aren't
going to do any better than you will get with nvidia VDPAU.