[mythtv-users] Mythdora Upgrade 0.22 - no sound and no device

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Sun Nov 15 15:56:49 UTC 2009

After following the guide posted by pisani:

http://www.mythdora.com/?q=node/5029

I upgraded the box to 0.22 as per the post - all successful, except for some localised oddities (Apple trailers gone, gmythmovies breaks Infocentre), but the biggie is that I currently have no sound.
In fact I have no sound outside MythTV currently

I have a Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H , and have successfully had sound over HDMI working in 0.21, as per the Digital HowTo

Currently I have tried disabling the onboard sound and leaving HDMI sound set to Auto' in BIOS, but this has made no difference
The output of aplay -l with onboard disabled, and HDMI Audio set to 'Auto:

device_list:223: no soundcards found...

with onboard enabled and HDMI Audio set to 'Auto':

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

..which does not include the IEC958 entries I had before

nvidia-180.60-1
kernel-2.6.27.38
alsa 1.0.21 (1.0.17 actually)

Could there be a module missing? Or a version difference?

In the archives, Jarod mentions something regarding using a kernel from updates-testing, but I know that's going to involve a boatload of kmod dependency issues, so I'd rather not introduce new issues if possible

thanks for any help

john