[mythtv-users] Trouble with two HD-PVRs on one system

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 18:34:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 8:37 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 02:24:18PM -0700, John P Poet wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>> > Would a motherboard with better USB support improve the stop/restart
>> > issue with the HD-PVR? ?I'm still seeing about 2 occurrences per hour,
>> > even with the latest HD-PVR firmware and the STB locked to 1080i.
>>
>> I can't say, other than I do not have that problem.  But, I also limit
>
> I knew you would say that. :) Swapping motherboards is such a hassle,
> I'd like to avoid it if it won't help.  I'm also having trouble
> finding a name-brand, AM2/DDR2 board with 3 PCI slots locally.
>
>> I would like to do 1080i, but I watch too many documentaries, and I
>> watch those at 1.3x timestretch.  My system can't keep up with 1080i
>> and timestretch using software decode.  VDPAU works perfectly ---- for
>> a while ---- and then I start getting minor stuttering.  So, I avoid
>> 1080i from the HD-PVR.
>
> I think we've had this discussion before.  VDPAU and timestretching
> works very well on my ga-e7aum-ds2h.  I use 1080i instead of 720p
> because, IME, interlaced content stretches more smoothly than
> progressive.
>
> David

The situation with VDPAU and timestretch has greatly improved since we
talked about this last.  Last time, the stutter happened as soon as I
turned timestretch on.  That is no longer the case.  It actually works
"in general".

However, after a while, a *minor* stutter will start up.  My
perception is, that this happens after a commercial skip or after I
jump around (3 minutes, 10 minutes, etc) in the show.  I am guessing
that something is not getting reset in a situation like that.  Once
the stutter happens, I have to reboot to get it to go away.

I will experiment some more with it, and see if I can narrow down the trigger.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?